Aren’t quite sure how to style a necklace for the neckline of your top or dress? Don’t worry. We'll recommend some hard and fast rules for styling your necklace to compliment your look. We’ll also cover the most common necklines and how to style a necklace for that neckline.
Styling Necklaces for Different Necklines
Here are the most common necklines and the styling tips for pairing the right necklace to complete your look:
Necklace for V-Neck Neckline
When wearing a v-neck, you’ll want to choose necklaces that create a smaller v within your neckline. The necklace should not cover your shirt or dress, or it will create a cluttered look. The necklace should hang neatly on your neck, accentuating the v-neck of your outfit.
Necklace for Rounded Neckline
If your top has a round neckline, then your necklace should have a similar shape. You don’t want a v-shaped or pointed necklace. For crew neck shirts, you can use a short round necklace to take the attention off your chest, or you can wear a long round necklace to draw the eyes to your chest.
Love following jewelry trends? Shop our best-selling necklaces to find the right accessory for your neckline.
Related Link: What Jewelry is Trending on TikTok? Find Out Here
Necklace for High Necklines
If you are wearing a high neckline like a turtleneck or halter top, the best necklace for this neckline is a long necklace. This way, the necklace won’t compete for the focal point with the neckline. Lariats and ropes are a great option for high necklines.
Necklaces for Sweetheart Necklines
A more difficult neckline to accessorize, the sweetheart neckline can be tricky. You don’t want to create a dueling focal point, so don’t choose necklaces with sharp angles or hanging too close to the v-line. The best necklace will be mid-length, drawing the eye to the center of the neckline.
Square Neckline Necklaces
For a square neckline, you want to look for angular designs that complement the strong angled neckline. Square or rectangle pendants can create this squared silhouette. You also want to keep the length within the bounds of the neckline to create a square accent.
Necklace for Boat Neckline
A boat neck top extends the appearance of your shoulders, so you’ll want a longer necklace. Pendant necklaces will work well for this in the princess or matinee length. This will draw the eye down, putting the focus back on your face rather than your shoulders.
Necklace for Cowl Neckline
Cowl necklines have a lot going on. You shouldn't pair it with a necklace that is equally as busy or long. The best necklace for a cowl neckline is one that hangs above the top. Delicate necklaces with simple pendants look great. Mainly just avoid statement necklaces that hang over your cowl neckline.
Necklace for Collared Neckline
If you are wearing a collared shirt, you will want to keep your necklace short where it hits just above the collarbone. Delicate necklaces are a sophisticated way to style a collared shirt. But some fashionistas also love to wear a short statement necklace too.
Necklace for Strapless Neckline
Strapless necklines provide an opportunity to showcase statement pieces. Opt for chunky statement, bib, or layered necklaces to add some drama and draw attention to the bare skin.
Looking for a statement necklace that will pop with your neckline? Shop our best pendants.
Related Link: Winter Jewelry Trends Everyone Should Know 
Necklaces for One-Shoulder Neckline
If your top or dress allows the neckline to fall off one shoulder, this gives you more space to make a statement with a bolder necklace. Length is key for this neckline, don’t overdo it. Look for collar-length statement necklaces.
Our Best Tips for Styling a Necklace with Your Neckline
- Match the length of your necklace with the depth of your neckline. Opt for shorter necklaces that sit above the collarbone for a high neckline. For plunging necklines, longer necklaces that drape over the fabric can create an elongating effect.
- Consider the proportions of your top and your necklace. If you’re wearing a top with intricate patterns or embellishments, a simpler and more delicate necklace may be a better choice to avoid overwhelming the outfit. Alternatively, if you’re wearing a plain or solid-colored top, you can opt for a bolder or more statement-making necklace.
- Experiment with layering multiple necklaces for a trendy and personalized look. Mix and match different necklace lengths, textures, and styles to create a unique combination. Layering works well with scoop necklines, V-necks, and open-collar shirts.
- Be mindful of the top's color scheme, and choose a necklace that complements it. A contrasting color can create a bold and eye-catching look, while a complementary color can create a harmonious and coordinated outfit.
- Adapt your necklace choice to the occasion and the overall style you want to achieve. For formal events or professional settings, opt for understated and elegant necklaces. You can go for more eclectic or whimsical necklace styles for casual or bohemian looks.
- Trust your personal style and wear a necklace that reflects your individuality and makes you feel confident. Whether you prefer dainty and minimalist necklaces or bold and statement pieces, choose a necklace that aligns with your personal taste and enhances your overall outfit.
Invest in Quality Necklaces for Different Necklines
You’ll want a few necklaces in your jewelry arsenal to style the different tops and dresses you own. Look for everyday necklaces and some show-stopper statement necklaces that will compliment your looks.
Related Link: What Type of Jewelry Do Millennials Love?