Got it Twisted? Here’s How to Keep Layered Necklaces from Tangling
Layered necklaces can be super chic and a hot trend this season, but keeping them from tangling can be a nightmare. In this article, we explain how to keep layered necklaces from tangling while wearing them and when you store your necklaces. We’ll also offer tips for untangling layered necklaces so that you don’t go completely mad.
How to Keep Layered Necklaces from Tangling While You’re Wearing Them
Here are a few savvy styling tips that will keep your layered necklaces from tangling and making your look sloppy:
- Select Different Length Necklaces: When you choose necklaces that are different lengths, you’ll have reduced their ability to tangle and twist. If you have two similar-length chains that you like to layer together, get a necklace extender to change up the length of one of them, which will keep them from tangling.
- Layer Necklaces with Different Materials and Styles: By choosing chains with different metals or pattern styles, it will create diverse textures that prevent tangling. An example would be to mix a rope chain with a beaded chain.
- Choose Necklaces With Different Weights: Mixing up the different weights of your necklace chains creates a visually appealing look but also helps prevent your necklaces from shifting too much. Heavier-weighted chains or necklaces that have heavy pendants will stay in place, making it more difficult to tangle.
- Utilize a Necklace Detangler: Necklace detanglers are jewelry tools that help keep your chains separate. You can add each necklace to a necklace detangler to keep the chains organized and equally spaced to avoid tangling.
- Put on Your Necklaces in the Right Order: An easy tip for keeping your necklaces from tangling is to put on your necklaces one at a time, from shortest to longest. Start with your shortest layering necklace. It should remain in place and keep its spacing from your longer chains that can tangle more easily.
- Fasten Your Necklaces to Each Other: An unconventional trick from designer Carrie Elizabeth is to fasten the necklaces to each other. Attaching one end of a necklace to another will keep your two necklaces from tangling.
Love following jewelry trends? Shop our best-selling necklaces that can easily layer together for the perfect look.
Related Link: What Jewelry is Trending on TikTok? Find Out Here
How to Store Multiple Necklaces without Tangling
Don’t just toss your necklaces into a jewelry box where the chains can tangle and knot together. Following a few jewelry storage tips can keep your layered necklaces organized and separate:
- Store Them Separately: Try storing each necklace separately, either in its own pouch or wrapped around a card. While this can require a little more time when you put your necklaces away, it really does keep them from getting tangled with each other when not in use.
- Use Jewelry Organizers: Like hanging organizers or drawers, jewelry organizers can keep your necklaces from tangling and make it easier to choose which one to wear.
- Knot the Chains: Before you put your necklaces away, try knotting the chains together. This way, they won't be tangled when you take them out again, and you can easily separate them.
- Attach Anti-Tangle Pendants: Some jewelry brands offer anti-tangle pendants that are specifically designed to keep layered necklaces from tangling. They have a unique shape that prevents the chains from knotting.
- Don’t Overlap: When layering necklaces, try not to overlap them too much. Instead, keep each one a little spaced out from the others to minimize the chance of tangling.
Looking for a statement pendant that can anchor your necklace and create interest? Shop our best pendants for the season.
Related Link: Winter Jewelry Trends Everyone Should Know 
How to Untangle Your Layered Necklaces Without Losing Your Mind
In a bind already? We’ve all been there. It can take hours to separate necklaces that have jumbled together. We’ve got a few tips to make the process more productive. Here’s how to untangle your layered necklaces:
- Start Slow: Don’t try to untangle everything at once. Take your time and work on one tangle section at a time.
- Use Your Fingers: Your fingers are your best tool for untangling necklaces. Gently work the knots out with your fingers, careful not to pull too hard and damage the chain.
- Unwind the Tangle: Try unwinding the tangle, starting from the center and moving outwards. This way, you won’t create any new knots as you work.
- Use a Safety Pin: If your fingers just aren’t cutting it, try using a safety pin to help unravel the tangle. Simply insert the safety pin into the tangle and use it to gently separate the knots.
- Add Conditioner: Try this trick if your necklaces are really knotted up. Mix a drop of hair conditioner with a cup of warm water, then soak the tangled necklaces in the solution for a few minutes. The conditioner will help to loosen the knots, making it easier to untangle them.
- Be Patient: Untangling necklaces can be time-consuming, so be patient and don’t rush it. You’ll get there!
It may take a hot second to unravel your layering necklaces, so keep calm and remember it will be worth it when you’re done. Then apply some of the other tips we mentioned to help prevent your necklaces from tangling again.
Following a Few Styling and Storage Tips Will Keep Your Necklaces from Tangling
Layered necklaces are a hot trend you need to embrace. Taking a few extra minutes to curate your layered necklaces' different weights, styles, and textures will help keep them from tangling. Then, follow our storage tips to keep your necklaces from knotting together and in good condition.
LaCkore Couture designs chic, artisan jewelry that appeals to your inner fashionista. Shop our newest styles for the latest trends and style alerts.Related Link: What Type of Jewelry Do Millennials Love?