Shoulder-grazing earrings are a super hot trend this season, but will you opt for a dangle earring vs. a drop earring that’s always in style? We’ll help you understand the difference between these two similar earring styles and when to style them with your outfit or occasion.
The Key Differences between Dangle Earrings vs. Drop Earrings
Dangle earrings and drop earrings are both popular types of earrings, but they have distinct characteristics that set them apart. Here are the key differences between dangle earrings vs. drop earrings:
Dangle earrings are generally longer than drop earrings. They usually hang below the earlobe and can extend to various lengths, reaching the neck or shoulder. On the other hand, drop earrings typically hang just below the earlobe or slightly longer but don’t extend as far as dangle earrings.
Dangle earrings are attached to the earlobe by a hook or a post that goes through the ear piercing. The decorative part of the earring dangles freely below the earlobe. Drop earrings, on the contrary, have a fixed attachment at the top, such as a stud or a hook, and the decorative component hangs below it.
Dangle earrings are designed to sway and move freely due to their longer length and the way they are attached. They offer a graceful and fluid motion when worn. Drop earrings, although they can still have some movement, are generally more stationary as the decorative element hangs directly below the attachment point.
Styles and Designs
Dangle earrings often feature intricate designs, including cascading chains, gemstone clusters, or dangling charms. They can be more elaborate and eye-catching, suitable for formal or dressy occasions. Drop earrings tend to have a simpler design with a focus on the decorative element that hangs below the attachment point.
Dangle earrings are versatile and can be worn with casual and formal outfits, depending on their style and design. They are commonly seen as statement earrings for special events. Drop earrings, on the other hand, are often considered more versatile for everyday wear. They can easily complement both casual and formal attire, depending on their size and design.
Face Shape Consideration
Dangle earrings can visually elongate the face and neck, making them suitable for individuals with round or square face shapes, as they create a slimming effect. Drop earrings, with their shorter length, can be flattering for various face shapes, including oval, heart, or rectangular faces.
Need a new pair of earrings for an upcoming occassion? Shop our best-selling earrings.
When to Style a Dangle Earring vs. a Drop Earring
When styling dangle earrings versus drop earrings, the choice depends on the occasion, outfit, and personal style. Here are some general guidelines to consider:
- Formal Events: Dangle earrings are your best choice for formal events, such as weddings, galas, or black-tie affairs. Their longer length and intricate designs add elegance and sophistication to an outfit.
- Statement Pieces: Dangle earrings often make a statement, so they are perfect for occasions when you want to draw attention to your earrings. They can be paired with simple or understated outfits to create a bold, eye-catching look.
- Upswept Hairstyles: Dangle earrings work well with hairstyles that expose the earlobes, such as updos, buns, or swept-back hair. The earrings will add a touch of glam and femininity to your overall look.
- Necklines: Dangle earrings complement various necklines, particularly those with open or V-neck designs to elongate the neck and create a balanced look.
- Everyday Wear: Drop earrings are versatile and can be worn as part of your everyday outfits. Their shorter length and simpler designs make them suitable for casual occasions, work settings, or running errands.
- Business Attire: If you’re looking for professional and polished earrings, drop earrings are a good choice. They are sophisticated without being overly extravagant.
- Face Shape Consideration: Drop earrings can be selected based on your face shape. For example, individuals with a round face shape may opt for longer drop earrings to create the illusion of a slimmer face, while those with an oval face shape can experiment with various drop earring styles.
- Layering: Drop earrings can easily be styled with other accessories and jewelry. Their simplicity allows for mixing and matching to create a cohesive and stylish look.
Looking for some chic statement earrings? Shop our favorite earrings for the summer.
Related Link: What Type of Jewelry Do Millennials Love?
Other Factors that Influence Whether to Buy A Drop Earring vs. a Dangle Earring
Here are a few other styling factors you should take into consideration before buying these earrings:
If you are getting earrings for an event or special occasion, this will heavily influence your earring style. Dangle earrings are great for parties or fun nights out. Drop earrings are appropriate for formal occasions or professional engagements.
Dangle earrings are a bold statement that can often be heavy, making them uncomfortable as they pull down on your earlobe. If weight is a factor for your comfort, you may want to consider drop earrings because they are generally lighter.
Personal Style and Preference
Your personal style and preference are also going to influence whether you buy a dangle earring vs. a drop earring. Drop earrings are classic, sophisticated, and conservative. Dangle earrings are more adventurous, flirty, and bold.
Drop earrings are a classic shape that goes with every hair length and style, making them a versatile but safe choice for styling. Dangle earrings look amazing with short hairstyles and updos. The dangle earring can make a statement and draw attention to your face, but with longer hair, they can get lost in your locks.
Dangle earrings are more youthful and often make a bigger statement which is generally more suited to younger women. These earrings can also be heavier, which can stretch your piercing holes, which isn’t the most flattering for older women. That said, older women can wear dangle earrings, but you’ll want to pick flattering pieces that are lighter in weight.
Related Link: TREND ALERT: HOW TO STYLE MISMATCHED EARRINGS